When less is more! Breast Reduction by Liposuction
Modern cosmetic treatments are really helping to improve women's quality of life. Now, even breast reduction can be done with minimal scarring also without the usual risks of traditional surgery. Breast reduction by liposuction is a much less intrusive, safer, more convenient way for women to address problems associated with having large or very large breasts.
Breast reduction by liposuction can help alleviate the problems that some women experience, such as:
- Neck, back or chest pain due to heavy breasts
- Limited physical / athletic abilities
- Discomfort, embarrassment and self-consciousness
- Limited wardrobe options
- Unequal breast size
- Less cutting and scarring. Liposuction makes tiny incisions in your breasts (less than three millimetres across), which heal to be almost invisible. Traditional surgery involves making extensive (e.g. 1-2-inch) cuts across each breast.
- Quicker recovery. Because you do not have invasive cutting, healing and recovery time is quicker. You can go home the same day as the procedure.
- Breastfeeding not compromised. Unlike traditional surgery, the liposuction procedure does not cut through or across the breast. So the breast tissue, glands and ducts associated with breastfeeding are not damaged. Women who have this procedure are usually able to breastfeed as normal. Nipple sensation is also not affected by the procedure.
- Reduction by liposuction does not interfere with mammograms tests.
- More accurate. Your surgeon can accurately measure how much fat to remove from the breast, making it easier to correct unequal breast size.
- Natural result. Because we are simply removing fat cells, the result is very natural looking. Your breasts will retain the same shape, just be significantly (up to 50 percent) smaller. Often the procedure also produces a natural 'lift' in the breast due to the reduced weight.
Of course, the first step is always a full consultation and personal assessment to answer your questions and determine whether you are a suitable candidate for the procedure. Some women are more suited to liposuction breast reduction than others. Largely this depends on the amount of fat in your breasts (as compared to glandular tissue). This will be discussed thoroughly at your consultation. Once your surgeon has carefully determined how much fat to remove from each breast, and you are all prepared, you will have some sedation and local anaesthetic will be applied. Liposuction involves making tiny incisions into a few places on your breasts, and removing fat cells in the same way as liposuction performed on other areas of the body. This takes about 25 minutes for each breast. Breast size can be reduced by up to 50 percent.
Recovery is reasonably fast, and you'll be able to go home the same day (although you will need someone to drive you home and stay with you for the night). There is a schedule of check-ups to monitor your recovery and ensure everything heals properly. We will see you for a check-up the following day, then weekly for six weeks, then monthly for six months.
The results of breast reduction by liposuction are natural looking and long lasting. Even if you were to gain a lot of weight in the future, your breasts would remain more or less the same size, as the fat cells in those areas have been permanently removed. Besides the obvious result of significantly reducing breast size, women commonly report greater physical comfort, more confidence and improved self-image.
While this page outlines the general procedure and benefits of breast reduction by liposuction, you may have further questions. You can get more even information about this procedure and me clinic's professional service by visiting the breast reduction page on our main website, where you will also be able to contact us regarding a confidential, personal consultation.