Loose skin is an unsightly problem that affects many people as they age. Also known as sagging skin, it affects our appearance and how we feel about our bodies. Sagging skin has been known to affect both men and women and can be a result of different factors. While it is a skin condition, it is not a medical issue that is life-threatening, it is aesthetically displeasing and can affect an individual’s self-esteem.
Why does skin sagging occur?
As we get older, fine lines and wrinkles start to make their appearance, our skin loses its elasticity and the collagen in our skin starts to reduce. Prolonged sun exposure also causes damage to skin cells and further breaks down the skin’s elasticity. When collagen breaks down and is not replenished as quickly as before, the continued loss may cause the skin to droop, leading to loose skin (also known as sagging skin). We also lose volume and contour in our faces from this breakdown.
Apart from ageing and loss of elasticity, other contributing factors to sagging skin include rapid weight loss, post-pregnancy weight loss, genetics, lifestyle and environmental factors.
Popular Treatments for Sagging Skin
Me Clinic Melbourne has a range of cosmetic treatments aimed at addressing the problem of sagging skin. You can choose from a list of anti-aging skin rejuvenation procedures, from dermal fillers to neck lifts, for one that is best suited for your skin type. Address the levels of elastin in your skin, and stimulate collagen production to create softer younger looking skin.
The list of treatments for sagging skin includes:
- Anti-Wrinkle Treatments
- Co2 Laser
- Dermal Fillers
- Erbium Laser
- Factor 4 & Skin Needling & Injections
- Laser Lipolysis
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy
- Preventative Cosmetic Medicine ™
- Medical Peels
Can Sagging Skin Be Reversed?
While you can’t reverse the hands of time, you can certainly reduce the effects ageing has on your body. Our team strives to help you achieve a more youthful appearance, but please note that individual results may vary.
There is no shortage of skin-tightening treatments for sagging skin. They range from minimally invasive procedures of laser resurfacing to more in-depth cosmetic surgery and facelifts to address skin laxity.
Tips for preventing saggy skin
We clearly understand that surgery is not everyone’s first choice, and for those who believe that prevention is better than cure, here are a few handy tips for preventing saggy skin.
- Lose weight at a steady pace. One of the key reasons for sagging skin is rapid weight loss. It’s great to lose weight and reach your dream goals but doing it too quickly means it’s near impossible for the collagen and elastin fibres to return to their pre-weight-gain state. This results in sagging skin overhangs over the abdomen, thighs or even the neckline.
- Exercise. Keeping healthy with a good diet and exercise helps to maintain collagen and elastin levels up. You can try facial exercises that stimulate collagen production to maintain soft supple skin. Weight lifting and resistance training aid in healthy muscles. Incorporate supplements like Vitamin C which is key for healthy skin.
- Maintain a good skincare routine. Look after yourself. This includes maintaining a good skincare regime of medical cosmeceutical skin care and keeping your hydration levels up.
Ways to improve skin sagging
While Me Clinic boasts several age-defying treatments that aid in removing sagging skin, there are some medical skin cosmeceutical skincare products of high-quality serums and fillers available to help improve skin sagging. Try these true and tested methods before committing to a procedure that may be too invasive for some.
Vitamin A Serum:
Vitamin A serums production stimulates new collagen and increases cell renewal
Renowned for its water-binding properties, hyaluronic acid is a key skincare ingredient in the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles. It keeps hydration levels up so your skin is plump and fresh looking.
If you’re not a fan of injectables or chemical peels, topical medical lactic acid serums can aid in looking after your sagging skin and aids in hydration plumping skin and helps decrease the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
Looking to remove some sagging skin without having to undergo surgery? Choose from a range of non-surgical treatments that will have you looking your best self without extended recovery time or downtime from work.
- Laser Resurfacing. Possibly the most effective of all procedures recommended for sagging skin. Skin is tightened and results are visible within 2 weeks of this laser treatment. The added incentives mean you not only achieve tighter skin, but fine lines, age spots, and dark spots are also reduced drastically.
- Dermal Fillers. For less invasive methods, you can’t go past this treatment. These aesthetic tools are gel-like injectables that fill the tissue beneath the skin to remove sagging skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Botox is a prime example of an effective filler. Applicable for sagging jawline, and to address other issues like jowls.
- Factor 4 & Skin Needling – This procedure is performed using a medical-grade dermal device. The treatment operates on the principle that when the device is passed over the skin multiple times, the very fine needles create minute and microscopic injuries to the skin. These tiny punctures encourage a wound-healing response and uptake of growth factors harvested from the collection of patient blood in the epidermis allowing for rejuvenation and regeneration.
Minimally invasive options
At Me Clinic, we offer many minimally invasive options to address the problem of sagging skin. While these procedures can give you more noticeable results, these results can be less permanent compared to a surgical procedure like a facelift, or neck lift. The upside of minimally invasive procedures such as microneedling means less downtime is required for recovery and there is also less risk of side effects.
Intense pulsed light or IPL for short is a common procedure that is fast and effective. It works on the principle of using intense pulsed light to deliver pulses of heat under the skin. This action triggers the body so there is natural production of collagen. As the light pulses are penetrated deep into the underlying layers of skin, they form a new foundation while protecting the treated area. You will see visible results from the first treatment.
How do I find out more about Lax & Sagging Skin and Lax & Sagging Skin Treatments?
Please contact Me Clinic Australia to find out everything you need to know about sagging skin. Our team of specialised surgeons have over 35 years of Cosmetic Medicine experience to share with you. A no-obligation consultation with one of our Cosmetic Physicians or Clinicians and Aestheticians is essential so your skin can be examined and assessed for the most suitable Lax & Sagging Skin treatment option that is tailored to your needs. Contact us today for more information and we will be happy to respond. Begin your journey to looking your best right here at Me Clinic.